After complete this tutorial, we will have NLTK (Natural Language Toolkit) platform installed in Anaconda environment. NLTK is a leading platform for building Python programs to work with human language data. And Anaconda is the leading open data science platform powered by Python.
Following these steps below to installing Anaconda and NLTK:
- Download and install Anaconda. The recommend version of Python is 2.7, as most of APIs are programmed in 2.7. However, you can download the 3.6 version, Anaconda supports multiple Python version for each project.
- Install Microsoft Visual C++ Compiler for Python 2.7.
- Install Cygwin and the following components: gcc-core, gcc-g++, libgcc1, gdb, make, libmpfr4.
- Add Cygwin bin path to system path. By default, it would stay at C:\cygwin64\bin.
- Open Anaconda Navigator and create a new environment.
- Then, open its terminal window.
- To install NLTK, type the command: pip install -U nltk
- Check the installation by typing: python, then import nltk. If no error appear, type exit(), otherwise, check the above steps.
- From now, you can install NLTK Data and use it.
- You don’t need to install Python before installing Anaconda.